As an Assistant Miller, you will be responsible for running the cleaning house side of the mill, supporting the shift miller, and ensuring all wheat and flour meets the required specifications while following all Food Safety Policies and GMPs, and completing sanitation and IPM tasks. You will utilize milling knowledge with the ability to set up machinery to maximize results.
To succeed, you must be able to:
- Deliver results in first-time situations by inspiring others and working to earn trust every day
- Serve others with understanding, respect, and care
- Operate with simplicity, clarity and transparency
- Deal with and drive change
- Organize, prioritize and own multiple tasks while meeting or exceeding deadline
- Learn and apply new technology, and share your knowledge with others
- Above all you will be expected to carry out all your activities with reliability, integrity, compliance and in a safe, environmentally responsible, and efficient manner
- Will be responsible for specific phases of the milling and wheat cleaning operations as assigned by supervisor including sanitation duties
- Develop mechanical ability to assist in all aspects of preventative checks and mill repair
- Accurately follow the schedule and specifications for wheat blending as well as providing feedback
- Learn and proficiently perform testing and monitoring of product through the milling and cleaning
- Maintain sanitation standards, in accordance to policies, to provide a safe and food safe work environment
- Maintain all tools/equipment and execute processes in the 5S, Pristine AMPS standards using process tools such as Centerline, 5S, understanding loss through 5why to create continuous improvement process by determining Root Cause and Corrective Actions
- Maintain documentation of a variety of activities and inventories through computer or paper systems
- Communicate effectively with management, team members and customers
Essential skills and experiences:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience in an industrial environment (milling, agricultural, food production, or equivalent)
- Basic skills with computer applications, to include Microsoft Office, with the ability to learn and use new computer programs
Good to have:
- 2+ years’ experience in an industrial environment (milling, agricultural, food production, or equivalent)
- Demonstrated mechanical understanding and intermediate troubleshooting ability
- Understanding of safety behaviors within production environment
- Mill Production experience
Physical requirements and working conditions (with or without reasonable accommodation):
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as is required by the operating areas (i.e. safety glasses, protective footwear, hard hat, hearing protection and, at times, a respirator)
- Ability to work a rotating schedule including nights, weekends and holidays
- Ability to work a machine-paced continuous process that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with conditions which include:
- Hot/Cold temperatures (inclement weather)
- Indoor/Outdoor environment
- Dusty environment (to include Wheat/Gluten allergens)
- Noisy environment
- Frequent moving/vibration/ or other motion of equipment/processes
- Elevated Places
- Ability to perform work safely which may require:
- Frequently standing, walking, rotating, bending/stooping, twisting, crouching, kneeling, balancing and reaching or lifting at varying heights and levels
- Frequently climbing stairs and/or ladders
- Occasionally lifting, shoveling and/or carrying
- Occasionally pushing and/or pulling
- Working in confined or elevated places
- Must be able to read, interpret instruction and technology and communicate effectively in English
- Must be willing to work alongside your team including long days, on rotating or varying shifts (days, evenings, and nights) as well as overtime, weekend or holiday work
- Have willingness for training and development in Milling Practices and Programs (to include other department operations)
- Must be authorized to work in the Unites states without sponsorship now and in the future
- Except where prohibited by law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test and pre-employment background check
At Ardent Mills, everyone matters and everyone has a voice. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal opportunities are available to all applicants and team members and the decisions will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, aboriginality, ancestry, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran status, age, political affiliation, or any other non-merit characteristic protected by law or not. Together, celebrating our differences, we make Ardent Mills.
The preceding position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees in this position. The description, duties, functions, and responsibilities are subject to change at the discretion of Ardent Mills.
4200 Sullivant Ave, Columbus OH, 43228
Additional Locations (if applicable):
We're committed to operating 24/7 pristine facilities by focusing on industry-leading food safety, sanitation and quality best practices.
Read more >
Our hiring process
While the experience of applying for a job at Ardent Mills may vary from mill to mill and from role to role, it almost always involves following the same basic process outlined below:
Our talent acquisition team will review your resume to check you have the experience and qualifications we are looking for. Everyone who applies for a job at Ardent Mills receives a response from us, so we will email you to let you know the outcome whether you have been successful or not.
A member of our talent acquisition team may speak to you on the phone to find out more about you and determine whether you are potentially a good fit for the role.
If the hiring team thinks you could be the person they are looking for, you are likely to be invited to an interview.
As the successful applicant, you will be made a verbal offer followed by a written one. Once you have accepted our offer, you will need to go through a background check and potential other pre-employment contingencies, which can take up to 10 business days.